Time for EVO!!! (out of the office)
It’s that time of the year again! Evolution 2014! It’s the biggest, most hype fighting game tournament IN THE WORLD! And I’ll be watching it this entire weekend! Now I realize this is also the early part of the Summer season, and there’s still a lot of anime I want to test out. All my blogs for that material will becoming out starting of next week on Monday. So things may be a little bare this weekend, but feel rest assured that things will start piling up soon after.
I’m a huge fighting game fan, though I have no actual talent, nor time to be competent at the games. But for me, this is a sport akin to football in the Fall and basketball in the Spring. The games I’ll be looking forward to are Ultra Street Fighter IV, Killer Instinct UltimateMarvel versus Capcom 3, and of course I want to see the finals for King of Fighters XIII. If you have not seen a finals for KOF XIII, then you’re missing out on some of the most exciting stuff you can see in a fighting game. And it almost always comes down to a battle of Latin America versus Asia. (Granted, there have only been two Grand Finals for that game so far.)
And finally there’s Smash Bros.! That game has gone from a pariah and a game that wasn’t even considered a fighting game, to one of its biggest attractions. Personally, I’m not that big into the that community, but I’ll be rooting for anyone kicking ass with Jiggly Puff!
Just as a bit of a primer for whoever does decide to tune in, here are the players I’ll be watching for in USFIV.
- Team PIE’s Smug (Dudley specialist)
- Team PIE’s Zeus (Vega and Dictator player, the reason I decided to try Vega)
- Snake Eyez (one of the best, if not THE best Zangief in the world, it’s either him or Flash Metroid)
- EG Ricky Ortiz (likely the best American Street Fighter player)
- EG PR Balrog (right up there with Ricky Ortiz – PUERTO RICO!!!)
- Infiltration (a previous EVO two-time champ; the other championship was in Street Fighter X Tekken, and a SF grand master)
- Xian (last year’s EVO champ)
…and on and on and on! Biggest fighting game tourney in world, and it’s full of nothing but killers! This is my World Cup!
See you guys next week!